Green poop with IBS can result from green leafy vegetables, food colorings, infections, severe attacks of IBS diarrhea, and others.
How To Cure IBS In One Day (9 most effective strategies)
Tired of IBS?
And you need a magical solution that cures IBS in one day? and completely?
The internet is full of stories of IBS patients who were completely cured avoiding specific food or taking certain probiotics.
YES, this can happen.
But unfortunately, this is an exception.
And what applies to a specific IBS patient doesn’t necessarily apply to you.
As an IBS doctor and IBS sufferer, I am afraid to tell you that this MAGICAL treatment doesn’t exist.
Until now, Research has neither found a specific cause of IBS Nor found a definitive cure for it.
so, If you want to learn how to cure IBS in one day you have to read this thoroughly.
This is an extensively researched, evidence-based article. About the most effective strategies that may help you to relieve IBS in one day.
Disclaimer: Although written by a doctor, this article is not a substitute for medical advice by your own doctor. This post may contain affiliate links that allow you to support our website & allows us to cover the costs of website developers and to continue delivering helpful content for you.
(1) Avoid Gas foods and habits.
If you have IBS, your intestine is oversensitive to gas. you may feel pain and distention even with normal amounts of gas inside your gut?
I always instruct my patients is to avoid these foods if they have bloating, gas, or abdominal pain:
- Beans, onions, celery, carrots, and raisins.
- Bananas, apricots, prunes, and Brussels sprouts.
- Wheat germ, pretzels, and bagels.
- Carbonated beverages.
- Caffeine in coffee and chocolate.
If you simply cut the above foods from your meals you may feel instant improvement. some of IBS patients feel instant relief without even any medications.
Also, We normally swallow a certain amount of air when we eat. And we have some faulty habits that may increase the amount of swallowed air like
- Eating too quickly
- Chewing gum
- Not moving after meals
I always advise my patients to do any physical activity after they eat. having a 10-minute exercise or a walk after you eat will improve your distension and colic.
(2) Avoid FODMAP foods and fruits.
FODMAP foods are a group of short-chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed from your intestine.
FODMAPs are known triggers for IBS. Research has proven that restricting these foods can greatly improve your symptoms
The word FODMAP refer to? fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols?.?
- Fermentable: means that gut bacteria break them down producing lots of gas.
- Oligosaccharides: Refers to compounds called fructans and galacto-saccharides present in wheat, barley,? rye, onion, garlic, and legumes.
- Disaccharides: Refuse fructose sugar present in milk ice cream custard and yogurt.
- Monosaccharides: Refers to free fructose present in Apples, pears, mangoes, cherries, watermelon, asparagus, sugar snap peas, honey, high-fructose corn syrup.
- Polyols: They are substances called sorbitol mannitol xylitol and maltitol present in certain types of fruits like apples and watermelon and in artificial sweeteners like artificially sweetened gum andialcohols.
So, learn how to cure IBS in one day by checking your next meal for the FODMAP diet and avoiding any of the foods listed above.
Pro tip: You don’t have to cut this food completely from your diet.
Instead, you can consume small to moderate amounts of the diet containing FODMAP as much as you can tolerate.
But during the attack is better to completely avoid any FODMAPs.
(3) Trial to avoid gluten and lactose
If you are not certain about which food makes your IBS worse,?try to temporarily restrict gluten and lactose in your diet during the IBS attack.
Gluten is a known trigger of celiac disease but it is also associated with what so cold non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
This means that you may have some intolerance to foods containing gluten even if you don’t have celiac disease.
Some studies showed that people with IBS-diarrhea? can benefit from restricting gluten in their diet.
This study done on people with IBS-D has revealed that a gluten-free diet may improve the frequency of diarrhea? and intestinal immunity.
As regard lactose, I also recommend you avoid dairy products like milk, ice cream, and yogurt during your IBS attack. (Remember, lactose is a FODMAP)
I know it’s too much food you’ll have to avoid during an acute attack, but the pain you feel is worth trying.
Even if you are not lactose intolerant you should try to avoid lactose during the IBS attack.
Does some research suggest that the sensitivity to milk or milk products is not necessarily due to its lactose sugar component?
Another component of milk is cold cow milk protein may be the cause of your problems with dairy products.
So even if you tested negative for lactose intolerance you may encounter this problem with milk products.
(4) Be cautious with fibers?it is a double-edged sword.
There are two main types of fiber:
- Soluble fibers? which type of fiber slows down the movement of your intestine and it is present in?
- Apples, Oranges (Remember apples are FODMAP).?
- Strawberries, Blueberries?
- Peas Oats, beans,?
- bran, and barley.
Soluble fibers dissolve in water and form a gel.? If you have IBS diarrhea the soluble fibers are good for you.
- Insoluble fibers:?The type of fibers doesn’t dissolve in water and if eaten in optimum amount is it will help your gut with constipation. But eating larger amounts or increasing the amount too fast will hurt your IBS.
Insoluble fibers present in
- Whole grains
- Leafy vegetables?
- Brown rice
- Broccoli and cabbage
both soluble and insoluble fibers are a double-edged sword. It can hurt or benefit you? IBS depends on the type, the amount of fiber, and the type of your IBS.
Eating too much fiber can worsen your IBS bloating and abdominal pain. On the other hand, eating the optimum amount and type of fiber can effectively cure your IBS in one day.
I’ve thoroughly discussed this topic in my article “Fiber And IBS: 8 Interesting Facts You Didn’t Know“.
Adjusting your dietary fiber the right way may be your “how to cure IBS in one day” most effective strategy. so I strongly recommend you to read this article carefully.?
The most useful ways to eat fiber with IBS:
- Choose whole-grain bread and cereals instead of processed or refined foods.
- Choose the whole fruits with peels if possible instead of fruit juices.
- Choose brown rice instead of white rice.
- Choose whole flour instead of refined flour.
- Try to gradually increase the number of fibers you eat.
- Some of the dietary fibers contain FODMAPs like others or gas-forming like cabbage try to avoid them.
- If you are unable to obtain the required amount in your diet you can try to take IBS-friendly fiber supplements like psyllium.
(5) Change the way you eat.
Not only the type of food you eat matter but also the way you eat it may play a role in your IBS triggering.
Eating too fast or during working or driving makes you swallow more air and not adequately chew your food. That can increase distension and hurt your IBS.
Also, random mealtimes and physical inactivity may trigger your IBS.
The best practice tips for eating with IBS
- Try to eat as slowly as you can.
- Don’t eat while you are working or driving.
- Eat at regular daily basis this predictable eating pattern makes your colon less likely to complain.
- Move after you eat; Doing a light exercise or a small walk will help your colon.
- Eat small light meals and stay away from large heavy meals.
How to cure IBS in one day using over-the-counter drugs.
The quickest and the most effective way to instantly relieve your IBS symptoms is using medications?
Basically, there are two types of medications:
- Prescription drugs: only your doctor can prescribe them and you can’t get them by yourself.
- Over The Counter drugs: these are drugs with high safety profiles and you can get them without a prescription.
Fortunately, a big part of IBS medications is available over the counter. But? my advice to you is to consult your doctor if you can about your symptoms. As he will be able to exactly prescribe the most suitable medication for your condition.
But if you can’t wait for your doctor, You can learn how to cure IBS in one day using a white variety of available over the counter drugs
In the next section of this article, I will tell you exactly when and how to make the most suitable over the counter medication for you. you can select the drug according to your most distressing symptoms:
- Abdominal pain attack
- Diarrhea predominant IBS attack
- Constipation predominant IBS attack
- Bloating and distention?
Pro Tip: You can combine more than ONE medication if you have more than one symptom.
EXAMPLE: You can take a medication for abdominal pain and another for diarrhea (if you have both abdominal pain and diarrhea).
(6) Over the counter drugs for IBS pain relief:
Option 1: Peppermint oil.
Peppermint oil is one of the most widely used over the counter drugs for IBS
It is also known for its good safety profile.? pharmacists think that the soothing effects of peppermint oil are due to a substance called menthol.
How to peppermint oil works for IBS
- It decreases the contractions of smooth muscles of the colon thus decreasing your abdominal pain.
- It regulates the motility of your gut it is specifically beneficial in IBS diarrhea.
- It also helps to reduce IBS gas and bloating.
When to take peppermint oil
Many clinical trials studied the antispasmodic effects of peppermint oil. Most of them concluded that menthol can be used as a first-line therapy or abdominal pain
This is because of the efficacy and safety of the drug over other prescription antispasmodics
You can use peppermint oil for:
- IBS abdominal pain
- IBS gas and bloating
- IBS diarrhea
- Also, with mild constipation
How to take peppermint oil
- Enteric-coated capsules are better, as they bypass your stomach and cause fewer side effects.
- The usual dose of enteric-coated capsules is 1 or 2 capsules three times daily.
- I usually prescribe peppermint oil as the first choice for relieving IBS abdominal pain. Even before the famous prescription antispasmodic drugs.
- Peppermint oil is used for short-term periods, if you plan to use it for longer than one month, please consult your doctor.
Peppermint oil side effects:
- Usually minimal and only appears in larger doses.
- The most common side effect is heartburn. The peppermint oil capsule form protects your stomach from this side effect.
- Others (rare): allergic reactions, headache, burning analipain.
More information about peppermint oil for IBS:
Option2: Buscopan IBS Relief
My second drug of choice for relieving pain associated with IBS is (Buscopan IBS relief) or??Hyoscine Butyl bromide.
Buscopan is first discovered in Germany in the 1950s and is widely used as an antispasmodic relieving abdominal colic.
It is available as over the counter drug in many countries including the United States.
I’ll cover some points you should know before you decide to and take this drug?
- How Buscopan works.
- Why and when you should take Buscopan.
- How to take the drug.
- When you shouldn’t take Buscopan.
- The possible side effects.
How Buscopan works?
IBS pain results from contractions of the muscles in the wall of your intestine. these contractions are involuntary and you cannot control them.
The presence of trigger foods or excess gas inside your intestine will trigger your smooth muscle to contract and cause you pain.
Buscopan inhabits these smooth muscle contractions in your intestine. Thus making your colon walls relax and relieving the sense of pain and colic.
Although not widely prescribed inside the United States, it is available is over the counter drug on amazon.com.
The tablet form is usually very safe only a small fraction is absorbed into your blood.
Why and when you should take Buscopan
- When is your IBS abdominal? being cannot be controlled by? diet control
- When you want an instant pain reliever for your IBS
How to take the drug
- The starting dose is one tablet 3 times per day.
- The dose can be increased gradually up to 2 tablets 4 times per day (which I don’t recommend).
- The tablet is taken as a whole with a glass of water.
- You can take it with or without food but I recommend you take it 15 minutes before your meal.
- Don’t take the drugs for longer periods maximum of 14 days.
- It is better to consult your doctor before you take Buscopan.
The possible side effects of Buscopan:
Generally, the tablet form is safer than the injection form as it is poorly absorbed from your intestine to blood, so it causes fewer side effects.
These side effects include?
- ?less than 1%: Awareness of Heartbeats (palpitation or tachycardia), dry mouth, blurred vision, and mild skin reactions like hives or Itching.
- ?less than 1 per 1000: Difficulty passing urine.
- Extremely rare: Allergic reaction to hyoscine butylbromide
When you sh; ouldn’t take Buscopan.
- If you don’t have a medically confirmed IBS.
- If you experience abnormal symptoms with IBS like vomiting fever or passage of bloody stools.
- If you have glaucoma in your eyes.
- Better to be avoided with pregnancy and lactation.
- If you have severe constipation.
- If you have a condition called benign prostatic hypertrophy.
- If you are taking antipsychotic or anti-Parkinson medications.
- If you are taking other antispasmodics or antihistamine drugs.
- If you are below 12 years.
- If you have a medical condition called megacolon.
For more information check these resources:
Also, probiotics place a vital role in releasing IBS pain I’ve discussed probiotics and a separate section below.
(7) Over the counter drugs for IBS-Diarrhea: Imodium
Loperamide or Imodium is the go-to drug used for diarrhea.
It is an extraordinarily safe drug that is used for people with IBS predominant diarrhea.
How Imodium works
- It decreases the movement of your interest thus slowing down the passage of contents.
- It increases the absorption of fluid and nutrients from your intestine into the blood.
- It prevents the secretion of fluids into your intestinal lumen thus preventing the formation of loose stools.
When to take Imodium:
- You can take Imodium if you have IBS diarrhea with or without abdominal pain.
- Imodium is also beneficial if you have the mixed type of IBS where there is constipation alternating with diarrhea
When not to take Imodium:
- If you have IBS constipation.
- better not use with Buscopan IBS relief.
- If your diarrhea is not due to IBS (diarrhea not associated with food, awakens you at night or associated with fever).? It is better to consult your doctor
- If you have IBS pain without diarrhea.
- If you have dysentery, inflammatory bowel syndrome, or a condition called membranous colitis.
Imodium dose and how to take:
- According to this study, the? required dose usually is 2 to 4 milligrams (mg) per day for IBS diarrhea.
- The maximum daily dose for adults is 16 mg But I recommend you never exceed 8 mg per day
- Each tablet Imodium contains 2 mg loperamide and it is taken once daily and you can increase the dose gradually to 4 or 6 milligrams a day until diarrhea stops.?
Imodium side effects
The side effects are usually rare, and so the drug is safe. They include:
- Constipation especially with higher doses.
- Some nausea, dizziness, and abdominal cramps.
For more information about Imodium
(8) Over the counter drugs for IBS constipation
Option 1: Psyllium Fibers (Metamucil)
Psyllium is a soluble fiber used mainly to treat constipation. It is also known for its benefit in reducing your blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure.
New evidence has suggested that the trial of psyllium can benefit people with IBS constipation.
Psyllium has no benefit with IBS-diarrhea nor the mixed type of IBS.
How to take Psyllium (Metamucil):
- I recommend you to start with a low dose, 5 gm of psyllium powder three times per day.
- Taken with a big amount of water at least 200 CCs of water.
- It can be taken with or without food.
- You can increase the dose gradually on the next day if constipation persists (for example 10 grams three times per day).
Option 2: polyethylene glycol.
Polyethylene glycol is an osmotic laxative.? Osmotic? means it retains water within your stool making it softer and easier to pass.
This randomized controlled trial showed that polyethylene glycol can help you to get rid of constipation associated with irritable bowel syndrome.
How to take polyethylene glycol:
- It is available in powder and fluid forms.
- It is taken with a large amount of water.
- Polyethylene glycol is taken once daily.
- Take the exact same amount in the prescription leaflet no more or less.?
When not to take polyethylene glycol:
- If you are a pregnant female
- If you have severe bloating and distension.
- If you have any medical conditions other than irritable bowel syndrome (consult your doctor first).
- Don’t take it for more than 2 weeks unless prescribed.
Check WebMD Miralax information for more details
(9) Probiotics for IBS.
How probiotics work:
Your gut teams with the normal bacteria that live inside it. You provide them with a place to live and food to eat. And they help your gut to digest food and fight other unwanted organisms.
One of the most accepted theories of IBS is the imbalance between the good bacteria (normal intestinal flora) and the bad bacteria.
This imbalance can lead to the appearance of IBS symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
Probiotics supplements basically are “good bacteria”. It can help your gut to regain its balance and function.
We are now in the probiotic era of IBS treatment, the research around different probiotic strains is still inadequate. But there is a piece of growing evidence that certain probiotic strains and combinations are effective in some IBS patients.
To be clear, the results of Probiotic supplements are not typical for all patients. but still promising and you should give it a try.
Probiotics are extremely safe, that’s why we -doctors- are comfortable prescribing them.
The best probiotics to try:
probiotics are available in many forms (capsule supplements, probiotic yogurt, probiotic milk).? Unfortunately, there are no standard dosing, duration, and strains that fit all IBS. patients.
All we know is that probiotics containing “Bifidobacteria” and combinations of multiple strains have better results. but remains lots to be studied about the perfect types, dosing, and duration.
the standard rules to take probiotics:
1- only choose probiotics containing strains that research has proved its efficacy.
2- take probiotics that contain combinations of different strains in full doses.
3- Adhere to one type of probiotics for 3 to 4 weeks, if no improvement, you can shift to another type (trial and error).
4- only choose established brands from a quality manufacturer.
Soon, I will publish a complete guide for probiotics with IBS. and I will link to it here in this article.
Best And Worst Alcoholic Drinks for IBS SUfferers Our content is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for medical advice by your doctor. Use for informational purposes only.IBS pain is worst!We – IBS sufferers – try to avoid anything
Cholestyramine is a bile acid sequestrant. It acts as an antidiarrheal and lipid-lowering medication by binding to bile acids inside the intestine.
Moreover, the use of Questran is not approved for weight loss.
Amitriptyline improves the overall symptoms of IBS patients who are refractory to other treatments. Amitriptyline reduces the pain signals goining from the gut to the brain. Amitryptiline is also effective for IBS-diarrhea as it has anti-diarrheal effects.
Bloating is the feeling like you have an inflated balloon inside your abdomen or stomach. It is very common with IBS patients.